The Queen and I

 

Rani-ma (queen) wake up, it's getting late. At first the soft, ringing, voice seemed like part of a dream; only that she wasn't dreaming. The voice rang again, and the accompanying gentle nudges finally woke her up. As she turned around and opened her eyes, there I was, watching her in amazement. She held me in her eyes for a long moment. There was amazement too, and affection. I have always seen the doors of the queen's chamber closed. So imagine my surprise when I found those doors ajar. I was inside before the maids or Dai-ma (nanny) could stop me; and there she was, sleeping in what I assumed, correctly, in the queen's bed. I stopped and watched her in amazement for a moment or two. But she kept pulling me, was it just childish curiosity or was it her usual enchantment? Well, I was bursting with curiosity, so I had called her. She got up and pulled me in. And who might you be my love, she said as she gently put the wildest of my locks in their places. It was a touch I still remember, I will always remember, there's no way of describing it; just that it sent a joyous feeling through my veins. I'm Labonno, but father often calls me Bonno (wild); I gleefully informed her.

She might have asked a few more questions, but a maid informed that her wash basin is ready. She took a few splashes on her face and started to tidy herself with a towel. Why were you calling me the queen, she asked. I was a bit shocked, she looked smarter than this. Well, you are in the queen's chamber, so you must be a queen, I explained plainly and patiently. Her eyes widened, she survey the room before locking on to me; so your father is the king, she asked, sounding a bit bewildered or annoyed. Oh god, do I have to explain every simple bit to her, I wondered to myself. But I just gleefully nodded. Now she actually looked a bit annoyed. And where is the q...she was talking to the nanny and she stopped reading something in her eyes. Then she smiled, the most wonderfully mysterious smile you will ever see. Labonno, do you know where the king is at this moment, she asked. I was so glad that I was an expert in palace routine, it's obvious that she would need every bit of help I can offer. He is in his inner office, I confidently announced. Lead me to him, will you; she said offering her hand.

I grabbed her hand and started running. She matched that with steady, long, strides. Then she suddenly scooped me up in her lap, I giggled for no reason and she smiled wonderfully. I was feeling wonderfully happy, for no reason. You are supposed to request an audience at the door of the office, but she kept her steady strides and the doormen just obliged to open the door. She put me down at the door and whispered; wait for me outside, will you. I nodded.

As the door closed, Suborna turned her attention to those present in the room. At the moment only the Chief Advisor and the Commander were accompanying the king. Why didn't you tell me that you have a daughter? Her cold voice was piercing. Well, we didn't have time to chat about my family, did we? The king replied in a low snarl. The Chief Advisor stepped in; wouldn't you have a seat first, your majesty, he pleaded. Suborna was seething but the calm, kind gaze of the old-man instantly disarmed her. She sat but immediately blurted out, and why was I given the queen's chamber, how would she tolerate such insolence? The room went eerily silent for a moment. The queen died at childbirth, the king's voice was barely audible. Her face buried within between her palms, Suborna sat like a statue. When she spoke, her voice was chocking; isn't it the greatest dishonor to her memory to give me her room. We gave you the room befitting of you, the king snarled again. Her eyes flashed but before she could retort the Commander spoke; please forgive us, for we have traded your uneasiness for our peace of mind. She got up and bowed the old-men; I'm humbled, and please forgive my rudeness. When she turned to the king, she stood erect; I'm not done with you oh king, came her calm, menacing reply.

Come here, my love; she called the moment she was out of the door. I came running and she scooped me up again. Were you afraid, she asked gently. A little, I admitted. Don't be afraid of me, ever; her voice was warm and her smile was warmer. Father says that too, I chripped happily. Her eyes gleamed in mischief; oh what a naughty man that king is, he hid you from me. Well, it's not that he didn't mean to not tell you, he just forgot; I explained to her. But she had that 'oh really' look, so all the way back to her chamber I went on describing all the things the king has to take care of. She kept listening and she kept looking at me, and all the while she had that warm, fuzzy, smile on her face.

So where have Labonno been these past few days? She asked over dinner. But before I could say anything, she gently put a finger on my lips, meaning I should finish my mouthful first. I went to fish in the Shapla Beel (Lilly Lake), I said. Her eyes widened, where is the fish then, she asked before putting another mouthful in my mouth. There's no fish, I admitted. Not a single one even sniffed my bait, but there's this much, I stretched my hands behind my back to give her an idea of the abundance, fish in that lake. But one of the fishermen caught a huge, again I stretched my hands as far as possible, fish. He asked me to drag it up, but instead, it dragged me into the water; I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. She gently pulled me up. And what if a Koomir (crocodile) caught you? She asked with concern. There aren't many at this time of the year. I assured her. Most of them have gone back to the river and the few that remain, prefer to bask on the far bank, I put her mind at ease.

What's your country like rani-ma, I whispered. We were on the queen's bed. The lamp in the far corner barely made her visible. She was gently stroking my hair and it was making me so sleepy. But I didn't want to sleep, I wanted to hear her stories. We have as much forests as you have farmlands, and we have as few farmlands as you have forests, she said softly. What else, I was barely awake. It will take a thousand nights to tell you the tales of Jongol-mohol (forest realm), she whispered. Somehow I knew that she will be with me for many thousand nights. Assured, I slipped into sleep. That night I dreamed that I was crossing a mighty river, towards a mysterious forest. A forest of dappled lights and rasping whispers.

Comments