Oh darn future


So, another year has gone by. How have you fared; physically, spiritually and materially! And what sights have you set for 2020!

Back in the early 1980s we used to see a cartoon Sea Lab 2020. It was about an under-ocean research lab where even kids were doing awesome tasks and adventures. I was pretty convinced that I wouldn’t live to see 2020. The concept of the show was so imaginative, improbable; that I was convinced that it’s beyond the lifetime of a simple mortal like me.

Then, Hey Presto, its 2020 and I’m still around. Back then, did I imagine writing to a friend thousands of miles away and getting reply in minutes? I sure didn’t. But the marvels of science do take away some precious charm.


I so miss letters, handwritten letters arriving by posts. The words ‘By Airmail/Par Avion’ would make me feel so incredulous and privileged. I would examine the postal seals with diligence of Sherlock Holmes and caress the stamps with the fondness of a mother touching her newborn. Each handwriting was unique and it would give me an image of the writer. Then there were the papers; plain papers, plain scented papers, ornate papers, scented ornate papers.

Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Comments

  1. There is nothing that can replace the effect and the joy of receiving a handwritten letters
    Nice article btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so many penpals. Collected stamps. I miss sending them! It was surely more speacial than an e-mail

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment