Whispering Ocean

‘How can you not love the oceans!’ Cuan lazily mumbled. I could only manage a vague ‘umm’ from my deep stupor. ‘Now seriously, what have got against oceans!’ His voice now had the clarity of someone in the morning after a very, umm, spirited night. It alarmed me; the bugger is warming up for one of those ‘spirited discussions’. I took a moment; no, not to think about reply but to plan an evasive manoeuvre, then mumbled ‘I do love oceans’. ‘Oh sure you do’; the clarity and the sarcasm in his voice was unnerving, so I added, as if as an afterthought, ‘I just love land more.’ ‘Umm’ came the reply, in reassuring drowsiness, and I started to sink back into my stupor.


‘But why?’ The clear voice slapped me out of the snooze-fest. I gave the gleaming-faced rascal the most rueful look I could muster and quipped, ‘Why do you love oceans more?’ his eyes lost the gleam like getting into a trance, his voice dropped and he whispered ‘I just love them, they make me feel lost.’ And he remained lost for some time, gazing at the sun-drenched Pacific before us.

When he turned back the maniacal gleam had returned. ‘Did I tell you about the time I sailed from Atuona to Motane!’ I gathered they are some specks somewhere in the Pacific. ‘It wasn’t like I was crossing the ocean; just a bit of island-hopping, you know. But halfway across, I was into the never-ending endlessness; just the horizon gently popping up and down from the turquoise expanse.’ He took a deep breath; the trance was wining over the wild gleam once more. ‘The soft splashing (of the waves) and gentle whooshing (of the breeze) only made the silence more transcending. It was so peaceful. I was soaking in it; like a person lying in a bathtub, with every sense and every cell calming to a trance.’

‘Then I heard the voices’ he continued. ‘It wasn’t the waves, it wasn’t the breeze; it wasn’t the gull that I couldn’t see. A soft, far-off, melody whispered “Come to me”.’

Comments

Post a Comment