Unexpected Delights

Oh wow, it seems this summer we are going to have some Jackfruits (Artocarpus heterophyllus) as well. Who would have thought that! Seriously, this tree had fruit just once before. Did you notice that singular number! Yes, in its decades of history, it blessed us with one single fruit till now. But few more weeks; and juicy, sticky jackfruit is on the menu.

I wasn’t so keen when the babies started to sprout as usual. But after two months, the doubter is turning into a believer. Yeah Jürgen, I have borrowed your iconic mantra, sue me. I wont even dare to take credit for the occasional watering, because as all the trees, shrubs, vines will proclaim that I’m not exactly a green thumb; in fact just the opposite.

And the Mangos have come out in numbers too, oh yummy. Last few years have been atrocious. Not that I’m complaining, I mean she has given enough and for far too long a time than we deserve. But more than the mangos, I missed seeing the tree in her full glory. The orangey-yellowish mangos peeping here, there, everywhere through the leafs; oh, what a joy.

I was just happy to see her in bloom, again. And after those hailstorms, I would have been happy with just a few. But something wonderful is happening. Yes it’s not the bonanza she used to throw out in her prime, because let’s face it, she is past her prime. She has made me dream again; come spring, I will be looking out for the blooms once more.

But isn’t it too early for Olive blooms!!! I thought they aren’t due for another couple of months. Let’s not jinx it, shall we!!! After all, we had a meagre few in last few seasons. And why shouldn’t she be so miserly after being hacked and chopped to her disfigured self!!!

However, the Ma-dho-bi-lata (Hiptage benghalensis) throngs shouldn’t have such qualms. True, we have often hacked them (yes, there are more than one) down but somehow they always end up with a canopy-free space. Look, I have got nothing against them. I love it when they are in bloom, I love it when they aren’t in bloom and just a lush green foliage, I don’t even mind the thorns that occasionally snaps at me; but I can’t stand those creepy caterpillars.

Comments

Post a Comment